Helping You Navigate A Trying Time

Seeking Custody Arrangements
That Make Sense

Parents care more about the welfare of their children than even the division of property. So custody and visitation battles can be very intense.

Courts sometimes refer parents to mediation to resolve differences. If the parents do not reach an agreement, the court may appoint a child representative or guardian ad itemto represent the child’s best interests. In especially contested cases, the court may request that child psychologists assess what is best for the child.

Child Custody And Visitation In Illinois

In any child custody situation, Illinois family courts want to ensure that the child’s best interests are represented. They particularly want to know:

  • What solution each parent prefers
  • The nature of the child’s relationship with both parents, and with other family and household members
  • The status of the child now, with home life, school and friends
  • The mental and physical health of all parties
  • Any instance of abuse by a parent against the child or against the other parent
    The ability of each parent to promote the child having a healthy relationship with the other parent

Also Addressing Visitation And Relocation Issues

In Illinois, noncustodial parents are entitled to reasonable visitation unless visitation will somehow endanger the child. Reasonable visitation may include specific dates and times. The court, in cases where unrestricted visitation may endanger the child, may grant specific visitation privileges at a location deemed to be safe.

Removal of the child to another state, or at a considerable distance from the noncustodial parent, is a serious matter. Parents cannot just load up the car and leave. They are obliged to petition the court to move out of state. Such petitions are reviewed on a case-by-case basis, because of the many factors that may impact the best interests of the child.

Our firm can see you through these twists and turns. Lawyer Michael Smith is also available to guide you through child support, alimony and child custody modifications.

Are You Struggling With A Serious Family Issue?

Get help. Call Rockford child custody attorney Michael J. Smith, Attorney at Law, LLC at 815-923-1129 or contact him using this email form.